Skip to main content

The Weeping Lecturer

In the morning, the heavens opened and it began to rain. Bella grabbed her umbrella to get to school, as she walked out of the hostel the first

My Mother's Advice a short story

While her parents were in the hospital, Nneka was at the house acting as if nothing happened. According to the doctor, her mother's condition was critical and so much money was needed to meet the medical requirement. Jide, her father, was returning home in the afternoon the next day to seek for a way to raise money when he came across Nneka on the way to the hospital. Jide looked at her in disgust as they both crossed each path. He regretted having a heartless creature as a daughter. At times, he wandered whether she actually was his biological daughter. 

Severally, his wife had told him that there is something strange and devilish about her. He recalled one night he told him that she believed Nneka was possessed with serious marine spirit, but he doubted her. However, recent happenings had shown her assertion might not be far from the truth.

As she got to the hospital, she sat by her mother's side looking so remorseful, but Mgbechi, her mother knew she was only putting up a show; she knew she was heartless and had no feeling for anyone.

"Why did you have to come into my womb?" She quickly asked her.

"What do you mean, maame?" Nneka asked with feign surprise.

"You really understood me, you evil child from the pit of hell, you are here on a mission of destruction, to torment your father and I, after the whole sacrifice we made to train you through higher institution, the reward we get is disappointment and heartbreak. You have killed me. Give me one reason why I should forgive you?" she asked and broke down in tears. "You really want to see our demise, so that we will not be alive to enjoy good thing from you except tears and sorrow."

"I really cared for the two of you,  but I don't like the men that came my way, they are not the kind of men I want to marry. Would you prefer to "trade my joy" to the detriment of your expectations towards me?" She asked.

"We have good expectations for you and for the family," she snapped and suddenly Nneka's mood changed and she frantically stood up and walked away down the corridor.

Mgbechi looked at her and shook her head. Within her she knew she was really in a bad state and her health had deteriorated a lot. She knew that she was in a state of paralysis because she was no longer feeling anything in her legs. Fear of death ran through her. She calmed herself down and beckoned on to Nneka to come. She walked back to her and sat beside her again.

"My daughter, be wise and say no to selfishness," then she began to cough, the more she tried to speak, the more she coughed and suddenly, she slumped backward and closed her eyes in death. Nneka observed her for a while, when she realized that her mother was dead, she raised an alarm.

"Maame, wake up for there is something I want to tell you," she shouted, but she couldn't response, then the nurses ran in and gathered around her.

The nurses  on duty checked her pulse and her eyes and shook their heads in disappointment and walked away.  In desperation Nneka began to check her mother vigorously, but her lifeless body stayed stiff and she began to cry, "Please maame forgive me, if you wake up now I will do whatever you want me to do. I will marry anyone you want me to marry. Just open your eyes and tell me, it is just a joke but yet I won't retreat my statement, I will do anything you want me to do." Swiftly, she reached for a pair of scissors and attempted to stab herself but the nurses grabbed it from her and wrestled it out of her hand. The continued to gather around her to make sure she didn't further attempt to do herself any harm.

"My life's not worth to be spared because I know  I am not worthy to live. I want to end it and have peace, my life is worthless and I can't continue, not when I have caused the death of my own mother.

"What is she saying?" They asked themselves and continued to ask to find out from her what she actually meant by her utterance. But she could only continue what she had said earlier. Then suddenly, Mr. Jide walked in, then seeing the helpless body remained stiff, then he broke down in tears on the floor.

"What will I do without her?" He asked rhetorically. What is the need for life without he?" he lamented. Suddenly, he stood and attempted to carry his wife but he couldn't and he broke into dirge...


You have led me astray into a deep forest 

With no chance of retreat

I have walked into a difficult path 

To an endless journey.


I have strolled into chameleon faeces 

Yet unable to wipe away the mess

I found myself at the extreme corner of the earth 

I am in the court yard of the king

And yet cannot lay my complaints to him.


My people, I have found myself 

When the rain beats hard and the sun

Scourges even harder.

Live firewood is gathered with

Trial and not all can gather it.


Something has happened to me

Something so great that my eyes refused 

To weep but my heart mourns

For I have no son to take  my place 

When I am gone 

And my daughter need not wail for me

When my breathe ceased, for I am just a passenger on earth

I have no kin, death had made war against me.

Mgbechi, wait, I will join you in a moment.


Everyone in the hospital stood watching as he continued weeping uncontrollably.  Within a short time, his mouth was swollen and his eyes turned red. He looked helpless and hopeless and he desire to die spread through him but little by little he began to comfort himself, knowing that death is inevitable and therefore awaits everyone.


Moral lesson:

*Be conscious of every action you take in life, some might hurt you while sometimes might take life.


Read other stories; 

The stranded stranger a short story 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things you should expect when you connect with your spot

Get out of the rat race. After all, if you win, you will simply be the big rat. Stop running in the competition. The only person you should compete with is yourself. "how well am I performing in my leadership spot," is what you should ask yourself. You have to know that the battery does not compete with a spark plug, because the battery knows the spark plug can never be a battery, and so on. They sit in the engine in their spots and serve the engine their gift without competing

Why does negative behaviour continue?

It works. There is some kind of payoff, some type of momentary satisfaction that is derived from not changing. The reward might be financial or psychological. Some people will continue unproductive behaviour to seek approval, acceptance, praise, or love. Others continue their unacceptable actions out of pride, greed or a sense of personal fulfilment. They may oppress others with their need to always be right because they treasure being right- even if it destroys a relationship.

Adding value to other people is the work of a positive influencer

As you move up to the higher levels of influence and become an active influencer, you can begin to have a positive influence on people and add value on their lives. That's true for any positive influencer. The baby-sitter who reads to the child encourages him to love books and helps him become a lifelong learner. The teacher who puts his faith, confidence, and love on a child helps the child to feel valued and good about herself. That boss who delegates to the employees and gives them authority as well as responsibility enlarges their horizons and empowers them to become better workers and people. Even the parents who know how to give their children grace and when to, also help them to stay open and communicative. All of these people add lasting value to the lives of other people. One thing is this, we don't know what kind of influence you have on others, today as you read this article. Your actions may touch the lives of thousands of people. Perhaps you use the opportunity