Skip to main content

The Weeping Lecturer

In the morning, the heavens opened and it began to rain. Bella grabbed her umbrella to get to school, as she walked out of the hostel the first

My mannerless sister-in-law a short story

Olamide was rude, saucy, offensively impolite, and bad mannered. Her obnoxious attitude came as a very rude awakening to me that only a very tolerating person could overbear her. She had such a repugnant attitude. The popular saying, "a good and virtuous woman is scarce" Now I realized it was very rare to find one because it had dawned on me that I had a bad mannered sister-in-law and every man had to "look before he leaps". He would soon find out that life could be war when he eventually married the wrong, ill-mannered woman. 

I then realized that any man who married a bad character as a wife could tell no difference between living in a tongue of fire and living in a lioness' Den. Besides that, she would also be a bunch of disgrace to the family. I was so disappointed, sad and regretted having such a useless woman as a sister-in-law.

Lolo's story began.

Her sauciness didn't just stop half way, it was general. She was impertinent and insolent. She was not respectful at all and showed less regard for her father-in-law and mother-in-law.

Early in the morning she wouldn't wake up to pray with the family, she wouldn't come to sweep the compound, she wouldn't bother to wash the plates not to talk of preparing breakfast. The worse was that it started earnestly right after their wedding day. So it had nothing to do with pregnancy or fatigue. She was born lazy poke with such a fragile mind. The fact is that she was lazy, rude, arrogant, saucy and insulting—her character spoke all these bad qualities of her. I found out she was only good in bed that was if she was actually, I couldn't tell anyways. Not that she was intellectually sound or somewhat.

Lolo narrating her story with tears now.














When morning came she was still lying in bed, expecting I, her husband's sister to do the sweeping of the compound after morning devotion which she always absent herself from. After sweeping the compound, I would wash the plates, prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was doing all these for the sake of my parents because if I didn't, my mom would have no option than to do them.

Everyday I prayed never to have a sister-in-law like her ever again. I also prayed to God so that He would strengthen me to be a good sister-in-law and daughter-in-law to my prospective family, notwithstanding whatever I would think of myself then. Because I understood that humility is the greatest sophistication. I never wanted my parents to feel hurt by her attitude so I tried to tolerate, calm my nerves down to do all the house chores including washing of the toilet system, and cleaning the house weekends.

"I am just living like a maid in my father's house at my level," I would say at times but my parents would calm me that I should do it like I was serving my parents and not the little brat and husband. It was becoming unbearably irritating that I threatened to slap her but they warned me not to try it. Her attitude thought me to be bad-tempered. At times I flawed in my overbearing and tried to scold her just to see if she could change and behave like a responsible married woman but the husband my brother instead of appreciating my articulation to brush her attitude and impose positive change in her, would report me to my parents to warn me.

Lolo was hurting in her throat, her voice kept cracking as she spoke.

I hated Olamide as a sister-in-law. Her character was stinking—such a foul-smelling gutter character. After cooking she would walk boldly to the kitchen to dish food for herself and husband. The worse was that she would pack all the meats in the pot of soup, rice or stew leaving the pot naked. I was so ashamed of her not to talk of her attitude. 

When her father-in-law or mother-in-law finished eating she would run inside the room or ignore their sight so that she wouldn't carry their dishes from the dining after eating. Though she had never for a day served them food. At times I wandered the planet she emerge from. Olamide was a village girl no doubt and it left me with wonder of a general belief that "village girls are the best and wife material" why would this village girl be performing such a mess when I already had the attraction to village girls after all I had heard about them whereas "they are supposed to be of good manner and conduct, respectful and humble" but this one had a  polluted character. Why this? 

Could it be that it was because she came to a family with soft-tender-loving heart but to me that should have been more reasons for her to behave herself and be nicer in reciprocating instead the opposite was the case. 

Lolo was tired the first day I was interviewing her that I decided to schedule it a story for another day. Continue reading...

It takes nothing to be a virtuous woman. Always do the right thing at the right time and with the right intentions—true definition of a virtuous woman. 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things you should expect when you connect with your spot

Get out of the rat race. After all, if you win, you will simply be the big rat. Stop running in the competition. The only person you should compete with is yourself. "how well am I performing in my leadership spot," is what you should ask yourself. You have to know that the battery does not compete with a spark plug, because the battery knows the spark plug can never be a battery, and so on. They sit in the engine in their spots and serve the engine their gift without competing

Why does negative behaviour continue?

It works. There is some kind of payoff, some type of momentary satisfaction that is derived from not changing. The reward might be financial or psychological. Some people will continue unproductive behaviour to seek approval, acceptance, praise, or love. Others continue their unacceptable actions out of pride, greed or a sense of personal fulfilment. They may oppress others with their need to always be right because they treasure being right- even if it destroys a relationship.

Adding value to other people is the work of a positive influencer

As you move up to the higher levels of influence and become an active influencer, you can begin to have a positive influence on people and add value on their lives. That's true for any positive influencer. The baby-sitter who reads to the child encourages him to love books and helps him become a lifelong learner. The teacher who puts his faith, confidence, and love on a child helps the child to feel valued and good about herself. That boss who delegates to the employees and gives them authority as well as responsibility enlarges their horizons and empowers them to become better workers and people. Even the parents who know how to give their children grace and when to, also help them to stay open and communicative. All of these people add lasting value to the lives of other people. One thing is this, we don't know what kind of influence you have on others, today as you read this article. Your actions may touch the lives of thousands of people. Perhaps you use the opportunity